Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Don't They Read In School Any More?

Some people are fiercely proud they don't read newspapers, books and so on. But this appears to be a carry over from school. With my new TV package, which comes with a bunch of movies for three months, I am trying to catch up on my movie watching, ( Years behind )

I happened to spot Dorian Grey and settled down to watch. It was nicely done and even though I knew how it would end, it held my attention to the very end.

I mentioned the movie to my son. He had never heard of it. I asked if he had read the book. He replied " who reads?"

Next to my oldest daughter, nope never heard or read the book. A friend of hers stopped by. Nope, never heard of it, but did see the title on a TV guide and might watch it now that I recommended it.

I asked my younger daughter who is the college kid and reads a lot. Nope.


WTF
Don't they read in school anymore? What about the classics?  Reading assignments?
I guess it is more important here in the states to have tests to see if the teachers are teaching then for the teachers to actually teach.

The dumbing down of America.
Brought to you locally with all the pride we can muster.
Reading, a dying skill.

reaching for a much needed cup of coffee

ray

7 comments:

Dawn@Lighten Up! said...

No. They dont read, Ray. My kids only read on computers or v games only, no matter how hard i try. It saddens and scares me.

raydenzel1 said...

Dawn
Peer pressure I think. Games are perceived cool, reading is not.

Cameron said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Cameron said...

This is not only sad, it is pathetic.

More rare: Writing snail-mail letters. Even MORE rare: writing snail-mail letters on a manual typewriter, which I do all the time now.

I feel so old, but am having a good time!

raydenzel1 said...

Cameron
Typewriters are cool but tricky for me. Not being a great speller, I went through a lot of white out!
Even more rare, writing in cursive. Soon it will be like Latin, a dead skill. Having a good time is what it is all about.

linda said...

My son is a reader. Hundreds of books. His bedroom has two bookshelves loaded with books. Plenty of classics but more modern stuff.

He does not read as much as he used to and that is because of the computer. I don't read as much as I used to either. Again, the computer.

When we go on holiday he reads a few books. And I do too. Last time I loaded stuff on my Ipad and it was a good way to read stuff. We also spend lots of time in bookshops and buy books.

There are lots of distractions now, much more than there were even ten years ago. Sometimes people leave books and then come back to them years later.

raydenzel1 said...

Linda

Once you have a love for books, it never leaves you. Some however, are not touched that way. I feel some sadness for them.
I am sure reading from the I Pad is easier then lugging heavy books around. It might even encourage more reading!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...