Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Num Num Num Neiman Marcus Cookies!

I was visiting a blog the other day, how I found it a story in its self, at http://kympiez.blogspot.com Stop by and say hi!

And while reading I stumbled upon a cookie recipe for Neiman Marcus cookies. I love to bake as you all know so I snapped it up in a heart beat. Oh man, are they good. One problem is the recipe is doubled, so unless you have a big mixer cut it in half.

There is a nice story to go along with it. Trust me on this, when you make those cookies, you will be everyone's best friend. Thanks Kymmie!

Now where did I put my glass of milk?

ray



eat: neiman-marcus cookies



Two years ago a friend forwarded me some junk email that I actually read. So glad I did, because the email contained this recipe. Often with an unknown source, recipes like this could be a total waste of ingredients, but this one is definitely not. In fact, it's so good, I feel badly for not paying for the recipe. (You can read the story below.)

Last week when I had some friend's children over for the day, we did some baking. These cookies (I personally like to call them biscuits, but it's an American recipe) are delicious, and turn out perfectly every time. Definitely worth sharing with you!

INGREDIENTS
5 cups rolled oats2 cups butter (I use light margarine)2 cups brown sugar2 cups white sugar
4 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
4 cups plain flour 
680g chocolate chips1 tsp salt 
2 tsp baking powder 
2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
500g cooking chocolate, grated
3 cups chopped nuts (optional)

METHOD
1 Blend oats in a blender to a fine powder.
2 Cream the butter and both sugars.
3 Add eggs and vanilla, mix together with flour, oatmeal, salt, baking powder, and bicarbonate of soda. Add chocolate chips, grated chocolate and nuts.
4 Roll into balls, and place two inches apart on a baking tray covered with baking paper. Bake for 10 minutes at 180 degrees celcius.

Recipe may be halved as this makes heaps. [The above quantities make 112 cookies.]


And here's the story...

If you don't already know, Neiman-Marcus is a very expensive boutique department store in Dallas, USA.

My daughter and I had just finished lunch at a Neiman-Marcus Cafe, and because both of us are such biscuit lovers, we decided to try the Neiman-Marcus cookie. It was so excellent that I asked if they would give me the recipe. The waitress said with a small  frown, "I'm afraid not, but you can buy the recipe."

I asked how much, and she responded, "Only two fifty. It's a great deal".

I agreed to that, and told her to add it to my bill.

Thirty days later, I received my Visa statement, and the charge from Neiman-Marcus was $285. I looked at it again, and I remembered I had only spent $9.95 for two sandwiches and about $20 for a scarf. At the bottom of the statement, it said,  "Cookie Recipe: $250". That was outrageous!

I called Neiman's accounting department and told them the waitress had said it was "two fifty", which clearly does not mean "two hundred and fifty dollars" by any reasonable interpretation of the phrase. Neiman-Marcus refused to budge. They would not refund my money because according to them, "What the waitress told you is not our problem. You have already seen the recipe. We absolutely will not refund your money.

I explained to the Accounting Department lady the criminal statutes which govern fraud in the state of Texas. I threatened to report them to the Better Business Bureau and The Texas Attorney General's office. I was basically told, "Do what you want. Don't bother trying to get any of your money back".

I told her that I was going to see to it that every cookie lover in the world with an e-mail account gets a $250 cookie recipe from Neiman-Marcus for free.

So here it is! Please pass it on to everyone you can  possibly think of. I paid $250 for this, and I don't want Neiman-Marcus to EVER make another penny from this recipe!

5 comments:

Pearl said...

How bizarre! I was just thinking about this, this cookie recipe. This story (and I believe it was debunked as an urban legend) went around big-time back in the 80s.

And yet I don't think I've ever had the cookie...

Of course, now I'm hungry...

Pearl

Travel & Dive Girl said...

Mmmmm, I love cookies, but don't love to bake. Do you need a taste tester?

raydenzel1 said...

Pearl
Legend or not, the cookies are delicious! The cookies are in the container in the fridge. Help yourself and I think we have milk.

Travel
I could be your baker and cook, but I don't butler well. Pull up a chair, here comes Pearl from the kitchen.

Fany papageorgiou said...

The cookies seems delicious! I'll take one of them! thank you. Kisses from Greece! Ray you have many talents too!

raydenzel1 said...

Fany

I love to cook and bake. You should try the recipe
but cut it in half. kisses back to you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...