Thursday, November 29, 2012

I always say, most people in Chicago don't eat the stuff, Deep Dish Pizza

Chicago may have invented it but most don't eat deep dish pizza. We like a thin crust pizza, with sausage, not pepperoni, and it will usually have mushrooms, onions and peppers. Basic stuff.We don't cut it in slices that you have to fold to eat, they are cut into three inch by two inch pieces. The cheese goes on top, not on the bottom.
Chicago rules.

side note. I was in a pizza place yesterday, a guy comes in, orders a slice of pepperoni pizza. The counter guy take a cold slice of pizza, adds some meat, warms it up, and there is your pizza? gagging!

Chicagoans are very proud of its food heritage. The link below takes you on a quick tour of some of the highlights of the city. How we do our hot dogs, beef sandwiches and of course pizza. In one part of the show, in a bar, the patrons were asked "who eats deep dish pizza?" Only a few hands were raised, one mentioned he would eat it only if he had out of town guests. There are thousands of bars and thousands more food places. We love the basics and the trendy stuff, most will take a pass. I would love to take any of you on a tour of Chicago. I think you would fall in love. Enough venting. Time for a dipped beef sandwich, oh I do wish it was so.

               48 Hours in Chicago                            

coffee time

ray


6 comments:

Pearl said...

I would love to TAKE that tour!

ANd yeah: the deep dish? Meh. Loved the sauce, loved the cheese, but the under-cooked carb-load at the bottom? Yeesh.

Pearl

raydenzel1 said...

Pearl
You would see the nice spots. Buckingham fountain at night, a hot dog from a vendor on a street corner, breaded shrimp the size of your fist eaten at three in the morning, pork chops so thick and tasty, the aroma is enough to make your car turn around by itself to find the stand where it is cooking, beer so cold, ice rises from the bottom of your glass to help quench your thirst. Yep, I know how to treat a girl right!

Joanne Noragon said...

I think that's Liza Bean down on navy pier. Looking for the lost bag full of limes.

raydenzel1 said...

Joanne
haha That cat has way to much fun!

Dawn@Lighten Up! said...

As you know, I grew up near Youngstown, and with all the Italians there, you can imagine all the awesome homemade pizza shops that exist. The standard pizza there is a cross between deep dish and thin.
I've lived in Columbus for 20 years now (gah!) , and they do the thin pizza. I don't like it. Not at all.
I think it's a matter of what you grew up with/get used to.

raydenzel1 said...

Dawn
I will stop by and get you and Pearl, time for a road trip to the windy city! I will learn ya!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...