Tuesday, January 1, 2013

If you use a kidney for a down payment, I can get you a cell phone for free

End of contract.
The rant for no more two year contract. Keep it simple keep it cheap. Month to month. Understood. I agree, but it is not going to happen. We have a family plan for four of us. Smart phones. Only the phones are smart, actually not too smart and kind of slow.

Insurance
But they still work. Most of the time. But phones break, whether you do anything or not. You can get insurance, eight dollars a month. You get a replacement if needed. Five dollars extra if you want it next day. That part works, I have used it. A bargain. However pay for it for 24 months, is it worth it? Do the math.

Minutes.
Do you talk all that much? A thousand minutes doesn't sound like a lot but it is. We have had plans at 1500 minutes and just once went over 1,000 minutes. Most people text now a days. I stay in touch with a few friends up north, maybe 3-4 hours at most. Family mostly texts each other. I will answer a long text message
with "K". I am famous for that. Bowing, applause...

Texting
Unlimited. Why? Because texting is cheap to do and send by the companies. Someday they will get wise to it and have unlimited calling and expensive texting. Someday.

Phone costs
Really, six hundred dollars? And as soon as you buy it, it is old and outdated? And the phones promise you everything, almost like beer googles just before closing. But I can buy a lot of beer for six hundred dollars.

I was kidding about the kidney or it might be a lung as a partial payment. Honestly, is it worth it? Smart phones keep us from getting bored, instead we can be all bored together. It stops you from having to strike up a conversation with someone. Shuddering!!!

So there you go, our quest to renew our service without killing each other.

What are my choices again? Sigh...

beer time 2013

ray

9 comments:

Pearl said...

I can't tell you just how much I hate all aspects of cell phone contracts/upkeep/continual changes.

I miss the phone. The one that hung on the wall in the kitchen...

Pearl

raydenzel1 said...

Pearl
The big black monster! We, showing off, had two!

good news, we kept the same phones, reduced the minutes and saved a bunch for a change.

Choleesa said...

wow!!! We cancelled the insurance on my phone two months ago...and guess what....yup.....dying a slow and painful death phone.....next upgrade, in two months....what to do what to do???

raydenzel1 said...

Choleesa

I feel your pain. That two months will take forever!

Murr Brewster said...

Dave and I pay over a hundred bucks for two dumb phones that we never remember to take with us. That works out to about $10 a text, and whenever I text him when he's out, I hear his phone burbling about ten feet away.

raydenzel1 said...

Murr
I am glad I wasn't eating or drinking when I read your comment. Much laughter. That has happened to me. And thinking about it, I do miss the old style flip phone.

Dawn@Lighten Up! said...

I just switched from an awesome $25/month Virgin Mobile unltd text/data/1000 talk min to a Verizon $110 plan for unltd talk/txt/4MB of data.
Loved Virgin Mobile, but the data was sooo slowwwwww, and I really need some fast internets with this blogging.

raydenzel1 said...

Dawn
sounds great. did you keep the same phone? They do all throttle down the speed at some point but I will be curious to see how it works out for you.

ray

raydenzel1 said...

150 views! why I feel like a real blogger of importances!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...