Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Did you ever wonder "what if I had done this sooner?"

Come on, we all have those thoughts, don't we? Or am I the only one? What if I had done this or took this job instead or met this person or gone down this road. I know for sure, I would not be writing this now and you would not be reading it. For better or worse, for richer and poorer. You have made your bed and now you must lie in it.

Pick a saying, any one at all and it will probably fit for whatever life has given you so far and whatever lies ahead.

People you have met over time have touched your life in one way or another. The car that let you merge on a busy highway, someone who opened a door for you when your hands were full, someone who said good morning and smiled, watching children play, peals of laughter cascading over all. A couple holding hands, the most beautiful sunset you have ever seen, only to be topped by tomorrows grand spectacle.

You made a right instead of a left and avoided that accident. You asked how someone was doing today and realized that they were happy that someone cared. You let someone know that they were not alone. You made someone realize they were not invisible today, they were noticed.

Ask someone if they need a hand, chances are they will be grateful for the kindness and the effort you have offered. You will find yourself smiling for no particular reason and people will want you to share. Do not allow little things to ruin your day, laugh at the absurdity of it all.

Little things count, for you and against you. Life offers no shortcuts but will allow you to take the long way if you so desire.

It is okay to wonder and then it is time to move on. Keep wondering, it is what makes us special.

coffee time
ray

7 comments:

Dawn@Lighten Up! said...

Ray, with your kind, dependable comments, you always make my day! I bet you let people merge and open doors for ladies, too!

Choleesa said...

You are a smart man Ray!

klahanie said...

Hi Ray,

And yes, what if we had done this or that. How different might our lives be. In this journey, some interesting twists and turns, for sure.

In fact, if I hadn't met a certain lady, I may well have been typing this comment from Canada, rather than England.

Time for a Belgian hot chocolate drink and oops, I'm out of marshmallows....

Gary

Travel & Dive Girl said...

I ask myself those questions everyday, but try not to dwell on what could have been or should have been - although some days it is hard. I've made some good choices and also some crappy ones, but in the end, they've all shaped who I've become - for better or worse.

raydenzel1 said...

Dawn
I wish I had met someone like you in high school.

Choleesa
You are making me blush!

Gary
Keep in mind one can always return to your homeland.

Travel
Sometimes the right choice is not available until much later. You do what you can with what you have.

Tao Dao Man said...

Well said.
Very Taoish. :-)
BTW. I started a new blog.
Pan Asian Anchor. All roads began in Asia, all roads will end in Asia.

http://yinyanganchor.blogspot.com/

I am also trying to prepare myself mentally for our move to S/Korea.

raydenzel1 said...

Reality
Good for you, what a life changing event. I will add your new blog to my list.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...