Monday, January 7, 2013

Guys don't like to talk about that ...

Age, okay, getting older, especially that magic number...70! or older. We are getting older. Age comes up in the conversation, more often then not. A friend of mine, who just turned 61, he was born in January, me in November, but the same year, brought up the "how much longer until retirement" sentence. We talked about social security and different dollar amounts and how wise it is to wait as long as possible and so on.

Then it dawned on me. We don't talk about life pass 70. It seems like a magic number. Like shooting 59 in golf, talking during a no-hitter, holding your breath during the final seconds of a championship game your team is about to win.

No one knows how long retirement will be or will we retire at all. Life is a crap shoot as it is. And life pass 70, will we be there, to get the checks the government doesn't want us to receive, to enjoy life as we want?
Will we be healthy enough to enjoy our selves or will the trials and tribulations of just surviving all these years take it's toll?

It is a somewhat scary and disconcerting thought isn't it. Sometimes I feel like an old building, crumbling away and then there is a spark of hope, a good day, or two or three. I am in the midst of a late stage career change which in its self can be distracting. So if you ever want to talk about my later years....shooosh...talk quietly, don't want to disturb the old age gods from their slumber!

time for a coffee

I need someone help me to the kitchen
naw, not yet...

ray

6 comments:

Cameron said...

I hate the word "retirement", but can't really think of a different term.

In any case, I have just RETIRED from the musicians union and am now collecting a modest pension. I will be 59 in May.

It just made better sense to start collecting my pension now, because of the structure of my particular plan.

I am VERY happy with my situation. "Retiring" will open new doors of opportunity, now that I've closed the door on performing union music gigs.

Hopefully you will be able to make this transition in your life smoothly!

raydenzel1 said...

cameron

ah, such a young man! Good for you. I was thinking more along the lines of wondering how long we have left. I hope we both are wondering about this twenty years from now.

Dawn@Lighten Up! said...

You know, Ray, you make a good point - people don't talk much about life past 70. So many folks don't make it much farther.
And now, here in Ohio, anyway, as well as nationwide, they are raising the retirement age to 67?! Yeah ... Dawn won't be stickin' around till then. Give me a part time job at Walmart to supplement, because my cubicle will be long re-assigned when I'm 67.

raydenzel1 said...

Dawn
As an average, men live to 74, women around 78. So it gets you to thinking "how long do I have?"
Ohio is different because they have the prettiest women so they look younger anyway. I could see you working in Wal-mart by the box wine!

klahanie said...

Hey Ray,

Oh my, hard to believe I know, what with my youthful good looks, but I'm going to be 60 this year.

And never mind 70, I'm looking forward to 69...

Now then, where did I put my coffee?

Gary

raydenzel1 said...

Gary
a rapier wit as always. So I am the old guy?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...