Saturday, February 2, 2013

Remembering the street vendors from my youth

I was making my weekly soup for lunch for the week this morning and noticed that one of my knives had gotten dull, made a mental note to sharpen them up and brought out another knife to finish the job.

It got me thinking back when I was a kid a man would come around the neighborhood with this huge grinding wheel, walking for miles, doing what he did best..

It was on wheels and as he pushed it down the street ringing his bell, the wives would bring out whatever needed sharpening and then he would be on his way. The neighborhood kids would tag along to watch him work his magic and then would go back to play, now looking for the next distraction.

Just a passing thought, back to my soup making.

coffee

ray

2 comments:

Joanne Noragon said...

And the man with a donkey cart with extra high sides. He cleared away the junk that husbands accumulated and wives hated. I only recently realized that. The scrap man took old tires, metal, stuff we couldn't consign to the burn barrel.

raydenzel1 said...

Joanne

Nowadays that donkey cart has been replaced by old pick up trucks scrounging for scrap for the junkyards. Amazing isn't it how doing something can trigger a memory or an event.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...