Tuesday, January 17, 2012

The Lost Art Of Conversation

I don't have any one on a regular basis to talk in depth about anything, anything at all. It is a rare thing indeed.
I have one or two people I exchange e mails with, but it is not the same thing.
A sit down, face to face exchange of ideas, that is what I long for.

It is important to enjoy the company of those you talk with. It is not a sparring debate of ideas rather it is an exchange of thoughts and points of the conversation. I had some of that yesterday.

It was a sit down after a round of golf that stretched for over four hours and many pitchers of beer.
Talking about whatever came to mind. Point, counterpoint new ideas.

One place I worked at, I had a few people to talk with like that, one I still meet up with on occasion for a few hours here and there.
But it is rare.
I like it because it challenges me to think a little deeper about a subject or to learn something new or gauge if some thought went into it or is it just repeating what was said on TV or the radio.

The idea is not to change the mind of the other person but rather explore different points of view.
And the why behind the thought. It leaves one looking for the next meeting.

Maybe I enjoy it so much because it is rare, I don't know.
But I do look forward to the next time.
Until then
I need a thinking man's cup of coffee...

ray

5 comments:

Dawn@Lighten Up! said...

I miss those pitchers of beer conversations too, rj. Long gone. No time anymore.

raydenzel1 said...

Dawn
if you are ever in south florida...

klahanie said...

Hey Ray,
Nothing like a bit of 3D positive interaction. An exchange of thoughts in a hopefully mature fashion.
My ex wife will not meet up with me to discuss some very important issues. No, the only way she will 'converse' with me is via Farcebook private messages and we aint even Farcebook 'friends. Very sad and frustrating.
Nice 'talking' to you, Ray.
And me thinks it's time for me to have a contemplative cup of coffee :)

Travel & Dive Girl said...

I love those conversations that stretch on forever. Apart from J, I don't have anyone to have those conversations with either. I find a lot of people are either too shallow or don't have a long enough attention span to carry a conversation.

raydenzel1 said...

Gary
Sorry for you and your ex to have to converse that way.
Coffee is always at the ready!

Travel
It is wonderful to have them. I am guessing that if they happened all the time they may not be as memorable.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...