Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas is a happy time right?

Contrary to the song for many people this is not the most wonderful time of the year,
Many find little joy in the holidays. Perfection is expected. You want to give presents but maybe you can't. You feel bad about that. There is an emptiness in not giving, one gets caught up in the selling season and the buying season. I am indifferent to it all.

When my kids were younger I took great joy in working on decorations around the house and loved the happiness it brought to my children. We never seem to have a lot of money but tried to stretch the dollar as much as possible to give quantity if not quality to each of them equally. Laughter from them made it all seem worth it.

As we moved from place to place, Christmas seemed to become competitive. One place had a contest for the best decorated house, first prize $100.00. I guesstimated two to three thousand dollars was spent to win the prize. It took the wind out of my sails. I no longer cared. The joy was gone.The pretend rich people had won.

I had written awhile back about Thanksgiving being the perfect holiday comprising of the basics, food, family and fun. Or football, same thing. Low expectations, easy to overachieve, All other holidays seem to cost more money wise and maybe a bit of ones spirit.

Presents soon will be forgotten, but the pleasure of receiving and maybe more so the pleasure of giving will live on.

If someone feels or acts blue or down this holiday season and yes especially on New Years, try to understand and give them an extra hug, the look of appreciation will be priceless and remembered always.

Yes, I accept virtual hugs too!

Christmas Eve coffee time

Ray







3 comments:

Travel & Dive Girl said...

I hear you! *hug* *hug* *hug*

Joanne Noragon said...

Find some little kids. They look at the season with happy eyes.

I'm wishing you the best new year.

raydenzel1 said...

Travel
XOXOXOXO!

Joanne
Thank you so much. I see a better year ahead.
The happiness of the little ones, to me it is what it is all about.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...