Sunday, October 28, 2012

The rain did stop and a voice cried out "you will play golf today"

Yea! The constant on again off again rain that had plagued our area because of a last minute hurricane finally went away. We were able play once again in the annual charity golf tournament. We did have to however play through a constant wind of 25 miles an hour, sometimes gusting higher throughout the day. But it certainly beats playing in the rain. Course conditions were great and the wind did aid in drying out the course.

We did good, not enough to win but we were in contention through out the day. The format is called best ball in which each person shoots and the ball in the best position is where everyone shoots the next shot.
We were in great shape on each hole and had many birdie attempts, making many of them and only one bogey (one over par) the whole day.

We shot a 66. We were very happy.

The winning score


The worst score was a 94!

So you can we we fared well, not something we could individually but as a foursome, we rocked.
There were many outstanding shots throughout the day, and a couple that would have made the highlights on ESPN. I had my share of the good, the bad and the ugly, but trust me, the good far out weighed the bad and the ugly, well, there were only a couple of those thankfully. Someone was always there to come to the rescue. Afterwards there was a dinner and prizes raffled off, which we managed to win a few, including a few rounds of golf for a foursome which is very nice.

But one of the guys is suffering with a vocal cord condition that sounds like a bad case of laryngitis. It is an on again off again problem he has had for over a year. Last year, he was out of work for nine weeks. He is in sales so you can see the problem he has. The doctors finally figured that is caused by stress and work conditions are a major cause of it. Surprisingly, by clearing his through, he is able to talk in a normal voice for about five or six words before it goes on him, long enough to drop an f-bomb or two. Very funny!

He works for my former employer. The stress part I totally understand.
I said he needs to go work somewhere else and look after his health. He didn't reply but I know he is trapped in a better job then he would be able to find elsewhere.

It was a very long day as usual. I left at 8:30 a.m. and came home at 8:30 p.m. No, it doesn't take that long to play a round of golf. Normally a round will take 4 to 4 1/2 hours to play, in a tournament one can add on one to two hours. We started off with a nice breakfast early, sign in , some putting, some driving range hits, standing around having a few beers, flirting with the beer ladies, ( who me? ) and the waiting for the 12:30 start. You can feel the excitement building as you wait and finally off we go.

I came home tired but sober, took some Nyquil as my throat was feeling bad and went to sleep. Now as I sit here, the lawnmower beckons and my moment of rest is all but over.

I can't wait until next year.

coffee time


Post a Comment


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...