Friday, January 15, 2010

I Wish I Was Tin Cup!

I love this movie, seen it more times then I can remember. This is a clip from the final scene, where Roy McAvoy ( Kevin Costner )tries to make a statement instead of winning the U.S. Open. When I was growing up the golfer who would go for it and pull it off was Arnold Palmer, my early golfing hero.

Kevin was taught by Gary McCord on how to play, and in a tournament he had a similar shot to McAvoy's. He needed a birdie to win and went for it. He shot over and over again and finally got it in 15 strokes, Roy needs 12, and it was decided to end the movie this way. Gary is the handlebar mustached announcer in the movie.

Many courses have tiered greens and if you land on the wrong level, the ball has been known to roll of the green and into the fairway, but usually not from two feet away.

When that happened in the movie, I got teary eyed. I have used the line from the movie "My swing looks like an unfolded lawn chair ", because at times, when I am golfing, it fits.

Enjoy.

5 comments:

Deborah said...

Oh dear, tears squirted out of my eyes as well. I had forgotten how MUCH I love this movie. Thank you.

I'm very very new and bad to golf. Wanna help me?

And thanks for visiting me!

Deborah said...

Oh dear. Tears are squirting out of my eyes as well. I had forgotten how much I love this movie. Thank you!

I am a newer golfer. Wanna help me?

Thanks for visiting me!

(did this post twice??)

raydenzel1 said...

Deborah
You golf too? I love you more. Good golf, bad golf, as long as you play. Start off with a few lessons and you will do better then most on the course. Posted twice? Yes it did, but I will keep it that way. Makes me look popular. I do poems too. http://rjacobpostpoeticmuses.blogspot.com/

You are on my follow list! Thanks for stopping by.
http://fashionplate-hungryforstyle.blogspot.com/

raydenzel1 said...

Deborah
Help you?......of course. It is 73 today, tee times are open!

Deborah said...

73? Man am I jealous!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...